Google Search Results

Friday, October 22, 2010

Cheesy Vegetable Enchilada Recipe

I am posting a little early this evening. I did not sleep well last night. I went to bed very late and still couldn't sleep. I didn't have any caffeine yesterday. I am definitely sleepy now though. I got up a little later than usual, but not enough to make up for what sleep I didn't get. I had planned on having pumpkin waffles this morning, but decided just to have some cold cereal instead. It was quick and would hold me until lunch. I had frosted mini wheats (budget health food,lol) with a sprinkle of flax, a splash of 2% and I was good to go. 



The rest of the day was kind of slow and so was I. I could have really used a nap, but it wouldn't have helped me sleep tonight. I have tried to stay busy doing this and that, just to stay awake. Sitting in front of a computer does not help with that. Therefore this will be a quick post. I had to fight the urge to eat all day (something I do when I am sleep deprived). I was certainly ready when it came time to fix lunch. I had a vegetable enchilada and salad. The enchilada came from a recipe I have, which makes about 10-12 . It is nothing to brag about but it is budget friendly and vegetarian. I wrap them individually and freeze until I am ready to eat them. They are more like burritos, but I put enchilada sauce over them which I think makes them better. 


The salad dressing is light ranch with a little chipotle powder and paprika. 


Here's the recipe for the enchiladas/burritos:

Cheesy Veggie Enchiladas

1 pkg. (10) soft tortilla shells
1/2 c. tomatoes - seeded & chopped
1/2 c. green onions - chopped
1/2 c. carrots -  peeled & thinly sliced
1 sweet red pepper - seeded and chopped
1 green pepper - seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 - 11oz. can whole kernel corn
2 -15oz. cans of beans (pinto, kidney, or black beans etc.) drained and rinsed
1 - 8oz. shredded Mex-Combo cheese
1 Tbsp. Chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Store bought enchilada sauce. (Not sure how much, but 1 or 2 jars should be plenty).
  • In a large pot, heat oil. Stir in garlic, green onion, carrots, red & green peppers, chili powder, & salt. 
  • Cook stirring often about 10 minutes.
  • Add beans, corn and tomatoes.
  • Cook additional 5 minutes, then remove from heat. 
  • Fill the middle of each tortilla shell with 5 Tbsp. of mixture, then 3 Tbsp. cheese on top.
  • Roll shell and place seam side down. 
  • These can be individually wrapped and frozen. 
  • Microwave approx. 1 min on each side.  
  • When using the sauce, I normally bake in my toaster oven for about 20 min. applying the sauce half way through cooking after turning the enchilada over. 
I also like to add a little Mexican oregano and cumin to the recipe for a little added flavor.

For dinner I had pasta shells and broccoli in a creamy pesto sauce with salad. I didn't make this myself. I bought it at Aldi's. It came in a bag from the freezer section. I did add extra frozen broccoli florets, simply because, I like my veggies to out weight my pasta. I also sprinkled a little flax and Parmesan over it before eating. I sprinkle flax on almost everything for a little added fiber and to get my Omega - 3's.





And last but definitely not least, I had 4 little cream puffs drizzled with chocolate for dessert. Yummo!




Alrightee! That's all folks. I can hear my pillow calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment