Google Search Results

Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Dinner

Today there was a turkey to be cooked, but luckily I didn't have to be up early to cook it. DH, Dale was in charge of the poultry. By the time I got up, the bird was in the oven. I already had my rolls baked, my green bean casserole was together in the fridge; all I had to do was bake it and DS, Lucas was in charge of the corn in butter sauce. The rest of the meal would be at Mom's.

I had leftover baked oatmeal with half an apple for breakfast. Cinnamon is a flavor I find myself craving a lot lately. Luckily cinnamon is really popular in fall dishes, so now is a good time to be craving it.


It's really hard for me to get into Thanksgiving. I don't eat turkey, I am thankful everyday, I spend time with family every week, I usually overeat and the holiday is followed by a day of people pushing and shoving trying to get the latest product at the best buy. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a downer, I am just making a statement. I am not unhappy with Thanksgiving, I am just not thrilled with it.

Well, we got the turkey baked. Dale injected it with a homemade version of Creole Butter. I did my green bean casserole and while Lucas did the corn in butter sauce, I got a shower. Then we were off to Mom's. I will post the recipe for the creole butter and the corn tomorrow.

My sister, Cathy and Mom had been cooking up a storm and Cathy had brought some special desserts. It wasn't long before everyone was getting there turkey on (except me). I was getting my veggie fix. I could have made a meal of the salad Cathy made. I'm not sure what it's real name is, but it has been dubbed, stinky feet salad, lol, because it's made with feta cheese, which some people think smells like stinky feet. It also has spinach, red onion, mushrooms, croutons, and a dressing that is sort of like Catalina dressing.

Check out our holiday spread and tell me we don't know how to throw down on Thanksgiving.



The Creole butter bird...
Mom's bird...

A big spiral ham....

My rolls...

The Salad aka Stinky Feet Salad...

Regular greens, green bean casserole and cranberry sauce....we also had cranberry chutney, not pictured, but very good.

Stuffing and corn in butter sauce....

Meatless stuffed bell peppers....sorry, the photo is crappier than usual...

My plate...

Now for the desserts....
First up is sweet potato pie...Mom made

Pumpkin pie....I wasn't fast enough to get a shot of it before it was eaten, lol...
This one Cathy brought

Pumpkin Nut Roll which Mom made...

Tres Leche from La Patisserie, which Cathy brought
I wasn't quick enough with this one either. We had to cut it up and take it out of the box because the milk was running out of it and the box was leaking.

It looked good to begin with, but it tasted even better than it looked.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for Thanksgiving, we had a pretty good day and lots of great food and I am thankful we were able to enjoy it. I hope you had a wonderful day, no matter how you chose to celebrate or not celebrate. 
My favorite dish of the day would have to be the Stinky Feet Salad. What was your favorite Thanksgiving day food traditional or otherwise?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:29 AM

    The creole butter bird looked the best and I'm sure it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't really tell you which was better. We usually fix 2, one with a little kick and then one without for those who don't like it spicy. Lexi, my grand daughter won't eat anything peppery or spicy.

    ReplyDelete