Google Search Results

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Groceries And New Placemats

Another rainy day. I slept better, but not good. I got up earlier than usual. I felt pretty good. I decided to do a repeat of yesterday's breakfast. The vanilla yogurt, apple, cornflake, cheerio, cranberry, walnut bowl. I had a buttered toasted English muffin to go with it.





Another day of cleaning, mopping and washing dishes. I did a load of laundry, you know fun stuff. I did reward myself with internet time. It was pretty boring though. No activity on the blog today. Where is everybody? I made croutons out of the bread that came with our salads at the Ketchie Creek Bakery. I nearly forgot about it. I was afraid I'd waited too long. It was a little dry, but fine for croutons. I cut it into crouton size pieces, drizzled a little olive oil over it, sprinkled it with garlic powder, parsley and a little popcorn salt. I baked them at 350 degrees for about 15 or until lightly browned and very dry. I stirred them a little about half way through. Popcorn salt is also great on French fries.


 I had a trip to the grocery store planned, but I was waiting for Lucas to get home from his classes, so he could go too. We did the Aldi's thing, trying to stretch a dollar. I like getting more for my money and now days every penny counts.

I had a couple of handfuls of salted roasted edamame from The Fresh Market for a snack. I love these things, but I keep forgetting I have them.


While I was waiting for Lucas to get home, after doing some cleaning, I fixed myself some lunch. I finally got around to eating the Kung Pao noodles, another of the Simply Asia noodle bowls, that Lucas fixed. It was better than the roasted peanut noodles, but I still wasn't particularly fond of them. It sort of reminded me of spicy ketchup over noodles, not quite that bad, there's no tomato in it, but whatever it was, it just doesn't do it for me. As you can see, I had a salad of baby romaine, broccoli, carrot, onion, and chow mein noodles with my simple Asian dressing. The dressing really did so much for this meal. It's hard to believe something that's so easy to make, could be so good.





When Lucas got home we went grocery shopping. We went to the Merita bread store first and we also dropped by the Value Village thrift store. I picked up some placemats at the VV.  I got 2 sets and one single. One set is reversible with a different pattern on the opposite side. It was like getting 3 sets instead of 2. I spent a total of $1.78, how cool is that. It just so happened that the store was having a half price sale. The place was packed. I was just thinking, times must be harder than I thought, everybody has gone to shopping at VV.


This one is my favorite. It's a light green. The pictures color is a little off.



We went to Aldi's after Lucas got home and got a lot of great stuff. I really prefer buying my bagged salads there. At $1.69 for spinach and $1.99 for butter lettuce, I think that's pretty cheap and it's the cheapest place I know to get milk at $1.99 a gallon. I totally forgot to get cream cheese for my bagels though, so I will have to pick up some soon. We picked up some bananas. They were $.29 a pound vs. $.50 at other stores. Somethings I get from other stores, but I can get most of my groceries at Aldi and save a bundle. I also love that you use reuable bags at Aldi. I just took about a dozen bags full of the plastic grocery bags back to be recycled. I can never remember my reusable bags at other stores, but I always remember to use them at Aldi's. I also like bagging my own groceries.

 When we got home I started planning what to fix for dinner. My camera battery was about dead, so I put it on the charger. I waited and waited for it to charge. I started fixing dinner. I had a few Ritz crackers with garlic tomato yogurt cheese and chopped pieces of sun dried tomato, both from Yoder's to tide me over while the camera battery charged and I fixed my salad.





 I decided to have a salad with the croutons I'd made this morning. I used spinach, butter lettuce and mushrooms from Aldi with broccoli, carrot, celery and the garlic tomato yogurt cheese shredded. I added a couple of the sun dried tomatoes to some Italian dressing I had thrown together at some point. I put the tomatoes in the food processor and minced them up and added them to the dressing. It was pretty good. I will have to put together a recipe in the future.




Once I'd gotten my salad together I checked my camera battery, still not charged. I took the battery off the charger long enough to get a shot of my salad. After I ate I checked the battery again...still not charged, then I realized someone had unplugged my charger, which is why my post tonight is so late and I'm still awake. I have no brain and the best luck, don't you think? It really worries me what this blog sounds like to others. Be sure you get plenty of rest or you too will be brainless and confused.

Do you think I have too many pictures posted? If so, should I leave out  small, medium or large shots? I'm still trying to make improvements. I'd like to think, it's better than it used to be. Please come back and see if I've made any progress. Encouragement is welcome. Feel free to subscribe via RSS or Email. It's very easy. Links are near the top on the right. You can also follow me on Twitter to receive updates of new posts, etc. Thanks. Cya tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment