Google Search Results

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Gray Day With Colorful Food


Another day starts and so does the rain. Well it wasn't raining when I got up, but it was cloudy and dreary, not my kinda day. Even though I kept waking up all night long, I didn't plan breakfast, so I had no idea what I wanted this morning. I sat around for a little bit trying to decide. I settled on a bowl of vanilla yogurt again, but with a half a diced pink lady apple, cornflakes, cheerios, walnuts, and dried cranberries. It was very colorful.

I also fixed a slice of cinnamon toast to go with it. Cheap store bought bread is terrible for cinnamon toast. It's thin and mostly air so it winds up more of a cinnamon cracker. I guess if I want good toast, I need to make some bread. I have to work up to that. I haven't been in much of a baking mood lately.



It took me a while to get going this morning. I have really had a case of the blah's today. Nothing exciting about the day. I needed some excitement. When I fixed lunch, I decided to add a little more color with some marinated veggies. I was having the other half of my leftover rosemary baked ziti from Romano's. I cut up some broccoli, carrots and celery and marinated them in some Italian dressing.




Lunch was good, but I have to say the ziti was better the first day, because the sauce was creamier. Reheating it sort of caused it to separate, so it was a little oily, but not bad. I also would have preferred the onions to have been cooked a little more.

After lunch I had a few of the peanut butter pretzel nuggets we got at Kmart. I could easily sit down and eat the whole jar, but I have been restraining myself and let me just say, "It ain't easy!". 


Before dinner I was craving a Starbucks peppermint latte. I wasn't going to get one, so I fixed myself a cup of peppermint cocoa. I had part of a pack of mint cocoa left from yesterday and I used part of a pack of vanilla cocoa with a little baking cocoa and a Hershey's peppermint kiss.



I completely forgot about Lucas' leftover Kung Pao noodles when I was deciding on dinner. I fixed brown rice with spinach and tomato, orange and yellow carrots, with green beans and red peppers and a leftover salmon patty from the freezer. The carrots, green beans and peppers really perk up this plate. It was a pretty good meal. The rice was my favorite part though. I love the slight chewiness of brown rice. 




It may have been a gray day looking up, but looking down there was lots of color. What's your favorite way to brighten a gray day?

No comments:

Post a Comment