Google Search Results

Friday, December 16, 2011

Dakota's Pride Chili Beans Review

This morning I am running a little late. I didn't sleep too well. I'm feeling a little run down. Yesterday I really felt run down and so I tried to eat things that would make me feel better, give me energy, etc.

For breakfast I had a fruit and yogurt parfait. I used diced apples, vanilla yogurt, cinnamon, peanut butter, walnuts, and bran flakes cereal.

I used the last of my yogurt, so it was a little skimpy on yogurt, but there was plenty of peanut butter. It was still yummy!!

I snacked on chopped dates all day for energy, a few here and a few there. I liked these from Yoder's, because they aren't covered in sugar, like the ones I got from Walmart. These are coated in oat flour. I do wish their stuff had an expiration date on it though.



For lunch, I had a bowl of our cheesy potato corn soup/ chowder. I'm not sure what to call it, I just know it's good.

I had a few crackers on the side with leftover tuna and dill pickle slices.

Emptying my pickle jars, I've found that side by side, I prefer the Great Value (Walmart's) dill pickle slices over the Aldi's brand. They are thicker and have a better flavor. I mostly had pickle ends on my crackers, since that's what gets left in the jars.


I opened a can of Dakota's Pride Chili Beans from Aldi's for dinner; more about these in just a minute.

Nutrition Facts

Dakota's Pride - Chili Beans

Serving Size:  1/2 cup

Calories 120 Sodium 520 mg
Total Fat 1 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 22 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 4 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 1 g
Trans 0 g Protein 7 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 6% Calcium 6%
Vitamin C 4% Iron 15%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

I also made corn muffins to go with my beans. I used my Xpress Redi Set Go to make the muffins. This is a handy little gadget, but I wasn't impressed with their control design. They placed the timer (a plastic knob) right on top, which gets rather warm after a while. The knob sort of melted and stripped once it got hot, but luckily it didn't effect it's ability to cook. I just have to use my oven timer, etc.

I used the divided circle pan for my muffins. I used half my basic recipe for cornbread and added corn, green pepper, onion, and a bit of sugar.

Corn muffins are usually too sweet for my taste, but these were just right, with just a hint of sweetness.

Now, I'll tell you about the beans. The chili beans have a good flavor. They aren't spicy hot, just your basic chili seasoning. They are a tad bit salty for me, but not inedible salty.  I crumbled some pepper jack cheese to go in the beans. You could add a can of diced tomatoes to the beans and they would be perfect. I give them 3 stars. I like them because they are vegetarian friendly and fairly cheap.

They were great with the corn muffins. I ate one muffin, plus half of another one.
After dinner I watched a little tv. Having not felt too well all day, I decided to skip Zumba. I didn't feel much like jumping and shaking. I still managed to stay up too late, but fortunately I'd also taken a nap after lunch, which maybe why I didn't sleep so well. I was definitely tired when I went to bed though. I had a few vegetable chips off camera before bed. I don't feel as drained, but I'm still taking it easy today. Happy Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment