Google Search Results

Monday, December 13, 2010

Minstrone For The Birthday Girl

I was up  early this morning, but not early enough to work on my Christmas tree, so that will have to wait until tomorrow, but I was up early enough to get a few things done that needed doing and I was starving when I got up, so without giving it any thought, I fixed myself another spinach omelet. I added some Parmesan cheese to the inside today and a sprinkle for the top as well. I also had another everything roll, actually they're called onion rolls, but it's a roll with the everything topping like the bagels come with, these are soooo good. I love deli breads, they are the closest to homemade.


I was rushing around and running out of time, so as soon as I had eaten and gotten dressed, it was time to roll. I was going to Mom's early today, so that I could put together my minestrone, which my DD, Lindsay had requested as part of her birthday dinner.

When I got there Mom had already chopped some of the veggies for the soup. I had forgotten my crockpot, so we just cooked it on the stove top. We threw everything together and had peppermint mocha coffee (which I forgot to get a shot of), while the food was cooking.

It wasn't long until everyone else had arrived and the food was ready. Here's this Sunday's menu, with a recipe for the minestrone to follow.

Breaded Chicken Breast

Beef Roast in mushroom gravy

Tortellini in meat sauce

My Minestrone with tortellini & a little cabbage thrown in

Salad with homemade dressing sort of like Catalina (Cathy made)

Mashed Potatoes

I had two cups full of minestrone...boy was I full.

Minestrone
4 c. water
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 onion chopped
1 stalk of celery chopped
1 (15.5 oz.) can kidney beans drained
1/4-1/2 c. carrot grated or sliced thin
3/4 c. corn frozen or canned ( I used canned but normally use frozen)
1 c. of pasta ( I used tri-colored cheese and garlic tortellini)
1 small can of sliced mushrooms or 1 c. of fresh sliced ( I used canned this time)
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp. basil
1 Serrano pepper chopped with seeds removed (be sure you were gloves for this or you can use 1/2 tsp
of crushed red pepper flakes)

Combine all ingredients except pasta in crockpot. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6. Add pasta 20-30
before serving. It may not take that long to cook, but that's how long I usually do it.




After dinner we enjoyed a fashion show....Lindsay modeling her birthday suite the outfits she received for her birthday. Here are a couple of collage photos of the fashion show and a few others including a rare photo of me in which, I'm holding Mary, one of my grand babies and an even more rare photo of  Lucas.

I'm the one in bright blue...

Finally, the birthday cakes, yes cakes, one carrot and one white cake with chocolate icing.

Unfortunately it was time for me to go, so I had my slice of cake after I got home with a large cup of decaf. I took a slice of the carrot for myself and 2 of the chocolate for Dale and Lucas.

Then I had a cat nap.  We had a wonderful time today, but I was totally worn out. Well, that's all for today.
What is your favorite cake? Mine is Red Velvet.

No comments:

Post a Comment