Google Search Results

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe

This morning, I awoke to a winter wonderland. The ground was white, the trees were white and it wasn't just a dusting. We had actually gotten several inches, not something that happens here often. Usually we get sleet, freezing rain or ice, which is no fun.




The snow put me in the mood to try the peppermint hot cocoa mix from World Market. I used 2% milk. I guess I'm not really a cocoa person. It was good, but very sweet, so I added baking cocoa and a bit more milk. It was still rather sweet for my taste. If I'd had some instant decaf coffee, I would have used some of that.



I also had half an everything bagel. It was one of the ones I got at Target. I spread some vegetable cream cheese on it, which came from Panera's. I froze the Panera bagels to eat later.



I felt pretty good today. I got to bed early last night. I slept a little better and my neck was not so stiff this morning. I suppose Christmas stress is fading. I'm still holding on to the head cold, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, just not better. When I am sick, I want soup, so for lunch today, I had Campbell's tomato soup, seasoned with a sprinkle or two of my taco seasoning mix. I've included the recipe. I also had a vegetable burrito/enchilada and tortilla chips for my soup. It really hit the spot.






Taco Seasoning Mix

⅛ C. onion powder
¼ C. chili powder
3 Tbsp. salt
4 tsp. cornstarch
1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 tsp. vegetable bouillon (actually beef bouillon, I substituted)
1 ½ tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp. ground cumin


Combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to a year.

For Tacos:
Add 2 Tbsp. of Taco Mix and 1/3 C. water to 1 lb. hamburger or veggie crumbles. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.

After my lunch I nibbled on another magic bar. Those things are magically disappearing and I am afraid to step on the scales, lol.


I decided to have brown rice and frozen stir fry veggies. I just love brown rice. I made the rice in my steamer which I also love. It does take about 40 minutes for it to cook, but I don't have to stand over it and it comes out perfect.


Since it would take a little while for the rice to cook, I had a Chobani pomegranate greek yogurt with a sprinkle of peanut butter almond granola from Yoder's Amish Market, which was one of my other Christmas presents. The granola and the yogurt were very good. I still have to say though, that the pineapple and the vanilla are my two favorites.








When my rice was nearly done, I tossed the frozen veggies in a pan and stirred them around until they were hot and steamy. They also had their own sauce which was actually pretty good. I spooned the veggies over the rice and dinner was served. Their is no way to make frozen vegetables look good. Fresh veggies are definitely the way to go. Next time I will try to get fresh veggies.


It has been a very relaxing day, which I have enjoyed. Most people around here don't care for the snow, but I like it. I'm not one to go out and play in it, but I do love to see it. What do you do when it snows or does it snow where you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment