Google Search Results

Monday, February 07, 2011

Meatless Monday - Sweet Potato Chips

It's Meatless Monday y'all! How'd  you do?

I didn't sleep in this morning like I'd planned or hoped to do. My alarm clock (Dolly) went off at 9am. I guess that is sleeping in for some, but for those of us who are still awake at 3am, it just doesn't wash. On top of that I am up 2 or 3 times during the night. It's getting old. Once I let the puppies out, there was no going back to sleep.


I got up and went to making breakfast. I did a couple of 3 minute oatmeal cookies. I always make 2. I never keep egg whites. It's just easier for me to double everything and use 1 egg instead doubling the egg white. I suppose it would be healthier with just whites, but I hate wasting yolks. Has anyone tried it both ways? I was just wondering if it would taste different. One of these days I will buy a carton of whites and try it out and see for myself.

Today's oatmeal cookie has dried cranberries, chopped walnuts and the zest of half an orange. I left out the chocolate chips. I had the orange with my cookies and left the other cookie for Lucas or for another day.



I am trying to get ahead on this, so that maybe I can start getting to bed a little sooner. The schedule I am on is killing me. Now I am off to get some cleaning done before the phone rings, lol.

I had my leftover taco bean soup for lunch. I added a little water and a sprinkle of Mexican blend cheese. I also had the last piece of cornbread, which I crumbled on top of the soup before eating. The flavor kind of reminds me of chili.





This has been a cold and cloudy day. It just looked like it could snow at any moment, but I'm not sure if it was quite cold enough. Lucas and I went to the library and then to the store to pick up a few things. I got a pink lemonade powerade while I was out.


When I got back I took a cat nap, which lasted longer than I'd planned. I just put my head back while sitting and closed my eyes for a few minutes. It turned into an hour and a half. Oops. What can I say, I was tired.  I may have slept longer if I hadn't been so uncomfortable, which was the whole purpose.

When I got up I started thinking about dinner. I have some sweet potatoes which I've been wanting to fix, but I wasn't sure how I wanted to use them. I looked for some ideas online. I thought about sweet potato nachos. I Googled it. I found several recipes. I was thinking nacho chips with sweet potatoes, etc. I came across a recipe which used the sweet potato as the chips. I didn't go by the recipe. I did things a little differently, but I plan to give the original a try later. I had a couple of spoonfuls of my taco bean soup left, salsa from our Super Bowl snack and some salad stuff that needed to be used, so I decided to make the sweet potato chips and nacho style salad.

The Salad 
baby romaine
sliced mushroom
red and green bell pepper
beans, corn, etc. from taco bean soup
salsa
Microwave Sweet Potato Chips



Microwave Sweet Potato Chips

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced approx. 1/16 inch.

I didn't have parchment paper so I used a square glass baking dish brushed with a little oil. You don't have to brush oil on but once. I put the slices in to the baking dish in a single layer, microwaving them in small batches for 5 minutes and 30 seconds each. The chips shrink and will be flexible when done, but crisp up as they cool. If not, you can do them a little longer, but be careful not to burn. They get dark when cooked too long before burning. You could season these if you like, but I thought they were delicious without a thing.


I think mine were a little thicker, but I still got crispy chips.


The chips were a little time consuming (about 30 mins. cook time) but not too bad. I did munch on some of the first batch, while I was finishing up the rest and if you have parchment paper these are totally fat free.

That was my day. It was a good good day. I even finished up a little earlier. Did you go meatless today? What's your favorite meatless meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment