Google Search Results

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cornbread And Pinto Beans

I seem to be falling into old habits, staying up too late, only this time, I'm still getting up early, then napping through the day. I don't get a lot done that way.

I had a blueberry muffin and an apple for breakfast yesterday. I thought that might be better than 2 muffins. I mixed up a little honey and butter to spread on this one.


I made a pan of cornbread for lunch. I realized I had cornbread mix that needed to be used. I use mix, but I don't use the mix recipe. I always use 2 eggs instead of 1 plus some chopped onion or about a tsp. of onion powder. I also heat the oil in my iron skillet in the oven and then pour the hot oil into my cornbread batter, stir it quickly and pour it into the hot skillet to return to the oven. The cornbread bakes up quickly in about 20 minutes and has the best crust on the bottom; brown & crispy. It's my favorite part.

I also have a designated cornbread skillet, which is only used for cornbread; no cornbread sticking to the pan.

Yummy yellow cornbread. I normally make my soft cornbread recipe, but I needed to use up the cornbread mix. Lucas prefers the soft cornbread, but I will take it either way.

I had my cornbread with a bowl of pinto beans. Since I am the only one who will eat the beans, I just use the canned variety. We ate a lot of pinto beans when the kids wear small and now I am the only one who will still eat them. They also ate a lot of hot dogs, but the kids still eat them, Dale doesn't. The same goes for chicken, of course the chicken was a treat for them back then.
I don't eat beans as often as we use to, but I still get in the mood for them every now and then. I've never grown tired of cornbread.


I ate this for a snack. It's not really what I wanted, but it was in the freezer and nobody else would eat it. I wanted something cold and sweet. This was too sweet, two cookies with ice cream. I should have just eaten half. I was nearly 400 calories for one. I am paying for it today. After stepping on the scales this morning, I see I should have not eaten it at all.


On top of having eaten the ice cream. Dale decided we would get something from Dominos. The guys got pizza, a Cali Chicken Bacon Ranch w/ no tomatoes, ick.

I got the Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich.

I did only eat half with a salad.

The sandwich was delicious with roasted red peppers, banana peppers, diced tomatoes, spinach, onions, feta, provolone and American cheese. The salad made with iceberg lettuce, cucumber, Roma tomato, red onion, sweet banana pepper, & zesty Italian dressing, went well with it. I saved the other half of the sandwich for later.

 I tried to make dinner healthier and less fattening, but that was as good as I could do. I will try to do better today. Happy Saturday! What's on the menu today at your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment