Google Search Results

Saturday, August 06, 2011

Are You Microwave Dependent?

When it rains, it pours.....
Up early this morning. It looks like another rainy day, which is what we had yesterday. We need the rain. It's nice that it isn't as hot as it's been lately. I still enjoyed the coolness of my smoothie yesterday. It goes down fast when I'm starving.

I had a mix fruit smoothie for breakfast yesterday. A few blueberries left in the frig, the last of my withering strawberries, and just a little frozen banana. I added a tsp of honey to compensate for the tartness of the berries. The bananas also add sweetness.



As the rain poured the day went on. I had plans to steam some broccoli in the microwave to go along with the leftover sautéed mushrooms and fried catfish I'd brought home from Logan's. I put the fish in the toaster oven so that it would be crispy on the outside. I put the broccoli in the microwave for about 3 minutes. It wasn't quite done when the timer went off, so I added the mushrooms and set the timer for 2 more minutes, but when I hit the button, the microwave didn't start. The light came on and the timer started to count down silently. Well, after trying several things to get it going, we decided it must be broken. The hot, but still underdone broccoli had heated the mushrooms, my toaster oven baked fish was done, and since the microwave was useless, I went ahead and fixed my lunch plate as was. The broccoli was more raw than cooked, but edible. I mixed up some mayo, onion, and pickle relish for tartar sauce. It was still a good lunch, just not exactly as I'd intended it to be.

Do you own a microwave? Most people do, but I assume not everyone. I never thought of myself as dependent on one, even though I own one, but I've had this problem before. Once Dale got his bibbed overalls hooked on the latch of our microwave door, which broke the latch. Well, that was the end of a perfectly good microwave, because it wouldn't operate without the door closed and there was no latch to signal that the door was in fact closed. We couldn't afford to just run right out and buy another one, so I had to wait a little while before getting another one. 

You just don't realize how much you use things until you suddenly don't have them to use. For the following week or so, we were all constantly finding a need for the microwave. Now here we are again in the same situation. It's amazing how much time is saved by having a microwave. I guess I am too dependent on it. It seems like nearly every meal I make includes some use of it. It makes you wonder how we ever got along without one.



I had a frozen cookies & creme donut from Krispy Kreme. I'd found it in the freezer while searching for the bananas that morning. It wasn't bad. I prefer cream filled donuts frozen for some reason.

I nearly forgot I had everything bagels. I had half of one with cream cheese, a couple of hours before dinner. All I wanted to do yesterday was eat.

When it came to dinner, I had to rethink preparation. I was having spaghetti noodles with vegetables and Parmesan cheese. Normally I steam my veggies in the microwave while the noodles cook on the stove. I could have thrown them in with the noodles at the last few minutes, but the guys who would also be eating the noodles, who also don't eat vegetables, would have died, had I done it that way, so I added a little water to a pot and then set a metal colander on top. I added the veggies to the colander and set the water to boil. I covered the veggies with the lid from the pot and let them steam.

Mission accomplished. I added a little butter to the noodles, some garlic, & oregano as well. Even without the microwave it wasn't difficult.

Well, I've got a busy day ahead and I need to get a shower, so I'm off. We'll be doing our "Sunday Dinner", today instead. Happy Saturday!






No comments:

Post a Comment