Google Search Results

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Stouffer's Cheese Manicotti Review

This morning is pretty much like most mornings, I'm awake and I'm typing away during or after breakfast. Lately I've really needed my morning coffee. Yesterday was no exception. I had a big cup with coconut sugar, powdered creamer and cinnamon. I was on a peppermint kick for a few days, but now it's cinnamon. 
I also had a yogurt parfait with Dannon peach yogurt, Gala apple chunks, a cinnamon waffle cut into chunks, and a little Kellogg's Fiber Plus Berry Crunch cereal, just for texture. Yummy!
It looks a little better than the last parfait I fixed. I really need parfait lessons. I had to use a bigger glass this time. The other one was snack size.

I fooled around too long before fixing something to eat. I munched on the last of my sesame sticks while I fixed lunch.

I had a boiled egg salad with iceberg salad from a bag, spinach, cucumber, carrot, onion, and broccoli, topped with grated or chopped boiled egg.
Usually I use a grater for my egg, which works really well. I learned that little trick when I worked in a school cafeteria. It's a great way to make egg salad. This egg was just chopped since I was only doing one.
I used light buttermilk ranch for the dressing. I added a little black pepper and dill weed at the last minute.
For dinner I made Stouffer's Easy Express Cheese Manicotti. 16 minutes in the microwave vs. 67 minutes in the oven, you can guess where this was prepared.



Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 pieces (278.7 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 340
Calories from Fat 143
                                                      % Daily Value*
Total Fat 15.9g                                       24%
Saturated Fat 8.1g                                 40%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 45mg                                   15%
Sodium 950mg                                       40%
Total Carbohydrates 32.9g                     11%
Dietary Fiber 5.0g                                  20%
Sugars 8.9g
Protein 15.0g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 10%
Calcium 30% Iron 9%

* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

It cooked up pretty well, no cold spots or underdone noodles. I didn't much care for the cheese filling inside the manicotti noodles. It was not very cheese like. It was more the texture of grainy pudding. I was in the mood for something cheesy and gooey and this didn't satisfy that craving. The sauce wasn't bad. It had a pretty good flavor, slightly spicy like with black pepper maybe, but not hot spicy. For me the filling was the main turn off in this dish.
I had the two manicotti suggested serving amount with a medium salad with light buttermilk ranch and a piece of garlic toast. This was a plenty for me. I actually could have gotten by with a smaller salad. I really have a hard time making small salads.
There are six manicotti in the package or 3 servings. Lucas ate 2 also. I forgot to ask what he thought of them. I may ask and add his opinion later. I just don't think I'm much of a fan of frozen manicotti. I haven't found any yet that I've really liked.
For me it was just edible and gets 2.5 stars, since I did like the sauce. I don't think I'll be buying it again though, unless they say, "It's new and improved" or something like that.
After dinner we watched a movie, Transformers Dark of the Moon. I liked the other Transformers movies, lots of action and not a lot of blood and gore. I also like Shia LaBeouf. He is great for part he plays, kind of tough, very sensitive, and funny when he needs to be. I was a little worried about the new girl friend in this one. She wasn't exactly who I would have picked for the part. She was just there for eye candy, I suppose, but those bee stung lips only had a comedy effect for me. I still gave it 4 stars.
After the movie, I stayed up late reading. I'm still trying to get "The Girl Who Played with Fire" read. I only have until Wednesday to finish it. I'm not sure I can manage that. Wish me luck. I may try to get in a little reading done this morning. Happy Sunday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment