Google Search Results

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Strawberry Mandarin Spinach Salad

This is one salad I made using this recipe, slightly different, yet just as delicious. I used crumbled feta, honey roasted cashews instead of sliced almonds and sugar, and left out the mandarin oranges. I also used a 7 lettuce blend along with spinach. 

 Strawberry Mandarin Spinach Salad

A slightly sweet dressing with the crunchiness of sugared almonds makes this an outstanding salad!


SERVES 16 28 min | 25 min prep
Dressing
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ tsp. Hot pepper sauce (optional) I prefer more

Topping

  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/3 cup sugar

Salad

  • 2 bags of fresh spinach leaves
  • 1 cup each sliced red and yellow bell pepper
  • 1 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
  • 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
  • ¾ cup sliced fresh strawberries

  1. Shake 4 dressing ingredients in a jar and refrigerate.
  2. Stir almonds and sugar in a small pan over medium heat until sugar melts and starts to caramelize and almonds are very lightly toasted.
  3. Scrape into metal bowl and cool to room temperature.
  4. Break up and store covered at room temperature.
  5. Just before serving, put spinach leaves in a large bowl.
  6. Add strawberries, oranges, onions bell peppers and almonds.
  7. Shake dressing well and pour over salad.
  8. Toss to mix and coat.

Notes: I didn't make the entire salad, I just made mine a plate at a time. I made the dressing and stored it in the fridge. 

2 comments:

  1. That looks so good. Your blog always makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it makes me hungry too, every night when I'm posting the pics, I have to make myself stay out of the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete