Google Search Results

Monday, May 23, 2011

Yves Veggie Dog Review

Another Sunday morning. I was out of bed on time today, not early, not late, although I really could have just kept sleeping. I got up and fix myself a wonderful Banana Pudding Smoothie. Ya don't know what you're missin', if you haven't tried this one yet. I'm just sayin'...

What's in the glass
Fresh Banana
Old Fashioned Oats
Vanilla Yogurt
Vanilla Extract
Milk 2%
Ground Flax
Vanilla Wafers
Ice Cubes


No abundance of energy today, but I did feel better than I've felt in the last two days. I even did a few upper body exercises with weights before bed last night and again this morning. I still was very focused today. I somehow missed a getting a lot of photos. The worst part is that I actually thought I got them. I'm just easily distracted these days. I think it's lack of sleep again.

After breakfast, I got everything today and we left. I kept feeling like I'd forgotten something, but apparently I didn't or I never remembered what it was.

We grilled out today since it was so nice, very warm outside. We were doing hamburgers and hotdogs, but I only got a photo of my veggie dogs. I somehow missed the meat. I even forgot to get photos of the veggie chili and meat chili.

This is what I did get pictures of....

 Barbecued Chicken

Vegetarian Baked Beans

Regular Baked Beans

Potato Salad

Cauliflower & Tomatoes

Potato Wedges
Corn on the cob
Cole Slaw
We had a small bite to tide us over while the burgers, dogs and corn cooked. I had v. baked beans and potato salad on my first plate.


We also tried Yves Veggie Dogs and I'm sorry to say they didn't get our approval. It says "Good Dog" on the package, but I'm not sure they should. While they didn't taste bad they had other issues. It says plainly on the package (upper right hand corner) "Great for grilling"......NOT.
This is what grilling does for these dogs. I'm not sure what other cooking methods do for them, but grilling is not the way to go. They started off looking somewhat similar to a regular hotdog, except for the creases and squared off shapes from being packed tightly together. I should have gotten a photo of them raw as well. We put them on the grill and before they hardly started to brown, they blew up like balloons and were really misshapen at that point. The outside of them took on a rubbery texture and the inside sort of collapsed, which made them sort of hollow. They also didn't brown very well, they went straight to black in spots.

I did put one of the veggie dogs on a bun. The taste was alright, sort of like Bacos, but they were tough as leather and rubbery, which made chewing them difficult. I really prefer the Veggie Patch Veggie Dogs over these. I saw so many great things said about the Yves Dogs online, I would have thought they'd be better, unfortunately they weren't. I'm sorry, but I would not buy these again. Mom tried one too. She ate the middle, but could not chew the outside. 

The veggie chili (made with Boca crumbles) and the slaw were good. The corn was cooked on the grill also and it was good.
We had Tiramisu for dessert. We also had butterscotch pie, which I forgot to get a shot of. I actually thought I did get one, but the camera says I didn't.
We had coffee with dessert. I was stuffed so I just had a small piece of the Tiramisu with a little cool whip on top.

I can't resist cream cheese desserts. If you'd like to try this quick and easy Tiramisu you can find the recipe here.

After I got home I just had a small dinner. I had a piece of the leftover veggie pizza with a little extra cheese on it and a Roma tomato sliced on the side w/ garlic, pepper and a pinch of salt.

Well, that's it. We had a pretty good day. It would have been better if my brain were functioning properly. Now I'm off to bed to try and get some sleep. Hopefully this post doesn't contain too many mistakes. I will try to remember to proof it tomorrow. I'm just too tire tonight. Happy Monday to you all!!! I will be back tomorrow. 

Tell me about your veggie dog experience. Which ones have you tried and what was your opinion, your favorite, etc?

1 comment:

  1. I tried Yves hot dogs today, and I was actually really impressed! Mine only says "veggie dogs" on the packaging and not "good dogs" though, so it might be a slightly different recipe.

    I didn't grill mine, I just popped them in the microwave. They warmed up just fine and aside from the creases you mention they had pretty much the exact same appearance, smell, texture and taste as real dogs. There was a slight aftertaste, but some ketchup was enough to drown it out. I suspect that boiling them would yield similar results.

    As for grilling, maybe there's a certain trick when it comes to faux meat? Could the temperature have been too high? I'll try to experiment with that in the future.

    ReplyDelete